Welcome to the online home of the Alaska Rock Garden Society (ARGS) which is a chapter of the North American Rock Garden Society (NARGS). ARGS was formed to promote the art of rock gardening in Alaska. We have four formal meetings a year which includes a business meeting, snacks, a program, botany brief and a plant profile. We meet twice a year in Anchorage and twice a year in Palmer. During the other months of the year we are have plant sales and garden tours both in Anchorage and the Valley. We have built and maintain the rock garden at the Alaska Botanical Garden (ABG) in Anchorage. Our outdoor activities include hikes, seed collecting trips and workshops (see Photo Gallery).
The chapter offers it members:
• Meetings with presentations by international, national and local speakers
• Plant sales in Anchorage and the Valley
• Garden tours
• Field Trips
• Workshops and demonstrations
• Book and plant drawings at the meetings
• Hands on learning at the ABG rock gardens
New members of all levels of experience and interests are always welcome. Our membership ranges from beginners to experts and professionals. Dues are $15 per year for ARGS and we encourage our members to also belong to NARGS and to also take advantage of their educational opportunities.
The purpose of the Alaska Rock Garden Society shall be to encourage and promote:
• Interest in design and construction of rock gardens
• Cultivation of rock garden plants
• Plant exploration, conservation and study of habitats, growth forms, and geographic distribution
• The study and sharing of information on rock gardening